7.12.2015

Music Stand Pocket


I made this and posted it on Pinterest a few years ago... when I was new to pinning... so I didn't know how to link to my blog or any of that. Then, I forgot about it.  Searching on Pinterest tonight for elementary music classroom decor ideas, I saw my creation on this blog! It feels good to know that I had a good idea!
I am now going to attempt to explain how I made it.

All it took was some hot glue and a little bit of sewing.
(Honestly, this was a botched pillow slip cover turned music stand pocket!) I love reinventing things and giving them new purpose.

I needed some storage for my remotes, markers, etc.  I am a bit impatient when it comes to crafting, so I didn't really measure anything or take pictures as I created. I just went with it!

This music stand pocket looks and works similarly to a nail apron. (It ties in the back.)

You'll need:
Fabric (width- about the same as a music stand; length- depends on how deep you want your pocket, mine is about as deep as a pencil then multiply that times 3... sorry, again, I didn't measure... dang it!)
Sewing machine and thread
Hot glue gun
Iron
Pencil or pen for measuring the pen pocket

First I folded the fabric into three equal sections. You could use a pencil or pen as a guide to how deep you want your pocket to be. Trim away fabric to make it just the right length/depth.

Then, I cut one third off, to save for making the pocket later, and left the remaining two-thirds folded in half with the patterned side facing out. I trimmed the ends of the fabric to the width of the music stand. After I had trimmed to the size I wanted, I hemmed the edges (iron the hems, then hot glue or sew).

Next, I set to work on the fabric that I had put aside earlier for the pocket, cutting it slightly shorter than the width of the music stand, to be the front of the pocket. Iron hems, then hot glue or sew.

The last thing to cut were two identical, long, thin strips to be the ties. These can be a little longer than your music stand measurements. I would suggest laying them on top of the apron and adding a few inches so they will be long enough making them easy to tie. (I made mine too short and it was a challenge to tie.) Fold edges under, iron, then glue the hems.

Piece it together and sew or hot glue the ties in place on the top edges.

For a finishing touch, I made a pencil pocket by sewing a straight line, near the right edge, all the way from bottom to top.

And there you have it- a functional, cute, easy to make pocket for your music stand!
 Please feel free to share with other music educators.

I would love to see photos or your creations! Find me on Twitter @JenSings79.


No comments:

Post a Comment